Sunday, June 17, 2007

Bought some new eyepieces


I found some inexpensive eyepieces on Ebay (SmartAstronomy's store, ebay id Ruby123) and decided to give them a try on 'ol Blue (the Bushnell 3" reflector). These are Guan Sheng eyepieces, rebranded for SmartAstronomy. As far as I can tell, there are others (including Celestron) that offer the same ones with different branding.

I bought a 32mm Super Plossl and a 2x Barlow (both 1 1/4" and fully multicoated). They arrived in only 2 days, were packed very well, and came with dust caps. They were further wrapped in small baggies and placed inside nice little boxes. The 32mm also has fold-down rubber eye guard. Nice touch.

The 32mm preformed well - nice eye relief, wide view (52 degrees, according to the specs), and good overall contrast and darkness of the sky. Stars appeared sharp to the edges of the field as well.

The barlow also worked well, but the focuser in 'ol Blue has a rivet inside that doesn't allow easy insert of longer eyepieces. Thank you Bushnell. I did get it in, but it isn't easy. Not the way to go when you're trying to do a simple swap to get a little closer to a DSO.

I did manage to get a nice view of M13, easy to pick out now that I'm learning my way around the sky. It was late when I tested, so the planets were out of view (behind trees or already set). I'll try the planets again soon.

Overall, a great deal at under $50 for both. I'll likely pick up a 9mm to go with the set, since the price is right and the company is SUPER easy to deal with.

No comments: